Commonly Used Terms
Bookjobs.com is sponsored by the Association of American Publishers, the National Trade Association for the U.S. book publishing industry.
|[Back to Internships]
|Company Name:||45TH PARALLEL COMMUNICATIONS|
|Description:||45th Parallel Communications, a full-service publicity and marketing firm for fine independent book publishers, seeks an articulate, detail-oriented and creative intern for Summer 2012 (May - August).
Based in Seattle, Washington, we work with a truly global community of presses, offering fully customizable services and consultation. 45th Parallel is proud to work with titles and authors across genres, with particular interest in design, visual culture, book arts, international fiction, east and southeast Asia, and multicultural children’s books. Our clients include Arsenal Pulp Press, Frances Lincoln Publishers, Tara Books, Chin Music Press and Stone Bridge Press, among others.
The Publicity and Marketing Intern will help us prepare for the Fall 2012 publishing season (during which time we will work on more than 40 titles). This position is unpaid; however, we will work with current university/college students to offer credit in exchange for a fully completed internship.
The Publicity and Marketing Intern will:
- design and write press releases for books, author events and art exhibitions
- create and manage online marketing campaigns targeting readers, libraries and bookstores
- compile and mail press kits to media contacts
- contribute to the planning and execution of North American author tours, art exhibitions and other book-related events
- brainstorm and contribute to media outreach plans ahead of a book's publication
- actively contribute engaging content to Facebook and Twitter feeds for both the company and our clients
- maintain Goodreads and LibraryThing profiles for publisher clients, fostering relationships with readers through social networking
- write and publish original content including book reviews and updates on our website, 45th-parallel.com
- research popular blogs, websites and writers for specific book projects
- create basic websites using plug-and-play publishing platforms
- maintain and update client and company databases
Believe it or not, everyone who works at 45th Parallel started in the publishing industry as an intern! We recognize the inherent value of internships for those individuals who wish to learn and succeed. We have plenty of opportunities for the self-motivated applicant beyond the above description (book and website design, travel to book fairs/festivals and other public-facing responsibilities). The more effort and enthusiasm you contribute to this internship, the more we will be able to share with you.
|Length of Internship:||Four months, May - August 2012; exact dates dependent on intern's availability.|
|Requirements:||- Strong enthusiasm for reading, writing and sharing stories
- Active interest in visual and pop culture, feminism, social justice, international travel and children's books
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, experience with creative nonfiction and marketing prose a plus
- Experience designing promotional and marketing materials (both print and web-based)
- Background in community, cultural and/or social event planning and promotion
- Keen attention to detail and an ability to multitask while maintaining a sense of humor
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), Microsoft Office and WordPress website hosting
- Ability to commit to 16 hours per week in our Seattle office (Fremont neighborhood)
- Personal laptop computer
- Experience with website design and coding a plus
|Application Due Date:||March 5th, 2012|
|Payment:||Unpaid; college credit available|
|How To Apply For This Internship:||Please send cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org