Commonly Used Terms
Bookjobs.com is sponsored by the Association of American Publishers, the National Trade Association for the U.S. book publishing industry.
|[Back to Internships]
|Company Name:||BERRETT-KOEHLER PUBLISHERS|
|Description:||Are you a bookworm with one eye towards the future? Are you so close to graduation you can taste it, but freaking out because you have no idea what to do with a measly English degree? Do you have the patience to sit through countless longwinded meetings, hoping desperately it will pay off as worthwhile office experience?
Then this internship could be for you!
Berrett-Koehler Publishers is currently seeking a creative and organized intern for our Communications Department. As an intern, you will want to work with us for at least 10 hours a week for a minimum of three months. How you schedule those hours is up to you - we're super flexible. After this internship, you'll be able to update your resume and LinkedIn profile with some of the following items:
- Assisted with building a publicity campaign for XX book, including writing the press release, compiling the media mailing list, and setting up events
- Assisted with writing tweets for Berrett-Koehler’s Twitter handle
- Researched information online, and contributed new ideas for enhancing our reach on various social media platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.)
- Created bi-monthly publicity updates for the international sales distributor, and other sales representatives
- Previewed unfinished manuscripts in preparation for writing press kits
- Updated Berrett-Koehler website with relevant news items pertaining to authors and media hits
- Worked on writing book descriptions and summaries on back galley covers
- Started a unique, personal project that helped make the Communications Department run more efficiently while improving research skills
Additional highlights of this internship include sitting in on thrilling bi-monthly marketing meetings, meetings with our authors, and even more meetings with the editorial and production staff. Needless to say, you're going to learn a lot (and sit in on a lot of meetings), so keeping focused and working with enthusiasm is a plus. A sense of humor helps too. We all like the #Funnies.
Berrett-Koehler Publishers is an independent publisher of politically/socially conscious books on current affairs, in addition to books on business management, leadership, career development, personal development, and global sustainability - all things that you'll learn more about when you work here.
We've been around for over 20 years, which makes us old enough to vote AND order lavish three martini lunches (okay, kidding). We publish about 40 books a year and have slightly over 20 employees, which means there's a lot of work to go around. Fortunately, we play well as a team, and our office environment reflects that.
Please email your resume with your cover letter in the body of the email to one of the contacts below. Send us your stuff today! :)
|Length of Internship:||Minimum 3 months, or one semester, or longer!|
|Location:||1333 Broadway, Suite 1000, Oakland, CA (near 12th Street BART Station)|
|Payment:||Paid stipend; checks are issued twice a month, and college credit available if needed. Perks include occasional free lunches, coffee, frozen yogurt, and unlimited H2O.|
|How To Apply For This Internship:||Please send your cover letter in the body of the email, attach your resume, and include all available social media accounts to:
Matt Fagaly, email@example.com AND
Katie Sheehan, firstname.lastname@example.org
|URL||www.bkconnection.com and twitter.com/berrettkoehler|