Commonly Used Terms
Bookjobs.com is sponsored by the Association of American Publishers, the National Trade Association for the U.S. book publishing industry.
|[Back to Internships]
|Company Name:||TIKKUN MAGAZINE|
|Description:||Art interns at Tikkun engage deeply with the question of how to illustrate articles about politics, social change, and spirituality. They work on our national magazine and on our website, generating illustration ideas and conducting image research. They play a central role in finding imagery for use on our multimedia blog site, which features regular photo essays and art galleries.
In the art world these days, it is quite difficult to find images that are not only artistically strong but also have social content. We need images that critique the pretensions and cruelties of our materialistic and self-centered culture. We also need artwork about peace, spirituality, hope, and social transformation that is NOT sappy, corny, or part of a New Age aesthetic. Interns are encouraged to scour museums, galleries, artists' websites, and online image libraries to find these sorts of images.
On the print side, the design process at Tikkun is a dynamic collaboration between the magazine's editors in Berkeley and the Design Action collective in Oakland. Art interns work on a part-time unpaid basis with the editors in Berkeley, where they develop relationships with freelance artists, obtain permission to reprint images, and brainstorm ways to illustrate the complex concepts often explored by articles in the magazine and on the magazine's website. Interns with strong art skills may also be encouraged to try their hand at creating original illustrations to be considered for publication in the magazine.
|Length of Internship:||three months to one year|
|Requirements:||We prefer candidates with a background in illustration or graphic design but are willing to consider others with the appropriate expertise. Here is what we're looking for:
* An understanding of the magazine's particular worldview. To illustrate the magazine effectively, you must first understand its raison d'etre.
* Creativity and persistence. You must have the creativity to come with illustration concepts and the persistence to find images that we can obtain permission to use.
* Self-motivation and organizational skills. You must be capable of putting out a call for art submissions and then compiling an in-house database of drawings and paintings connected to the main themes of the magazine.
* Familiarity with preparing images for the Web and using Adobe Photoshop.
* People skills help! Could you work with a college art professor to engage her students in grappling with the challenge of illustrating Tikkun?
|Application Due Date:||April 1 for summer internships
August 15 for fall internships
December 15 for spring internships
|How To Apply For This Internship:||Send a cover letter explaining why you would like to take part in this internship program to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also send a resume and the names and phone numbers of at least two references whom we may contact. If we are interested in your application, we will contact you and ask you to complete an additional assignment. No phone calls please.|