Commonly Used Terms
Bookjobs.com is sponsored by the Association of American Publishers, the National Trade Association for the U.S. book publishing industry.
|[Back to Internships]
|Company Name:||CHICAGO WRITERS CONFERENCE|
|Description:||The Editorial Intern will work directly with the Executive Director and Social Media Assistant to plan and promote the fall conference as well as develop our social media
presence. This intern will help manage our blog and draft and edit organization communications,such as press releases and broadcast communications.
Who should apply: College students who are interested in developing their editing, marketing, blogging, and public relations skills as well as learning the ins and outs of the Chicago literary scene. Must be in college and be able to receive college credit for this internship.
About CWC: Chicago Writers Conference is a Chicagobased nonprofit organization that connects writers with publishing professionals and encourages writers to grow their careers in Chicago. We produce an annual conference, 46 workshops throughout the year, as well as free events for the community and an annual fundraiser. We connect with our audience through our blog, newsletter, and social media channels. Prior speakers have included MacArthur “Genius” Grant Recipient Aleksandar Hemon, AwardWinning Journalist Rick Kogan, AwardWinning
novelist Christine Sneed, and AwardWinning Crime Writer Sara Paretsky.
● Assist in social media management over Facebook and Twitter
● Manage our blog by pitching, drafting, and editing posts
● Draft, edit, and distribute press releases and other promotional materials for upcoming
events and workshops
● Assist in planning and programming the Fall 2015 conference
● Update and maintain newsletter mailing list
● Proof and edit outgoing written material
● Draft, edit, and submit event listing Information to all local media
● Interview staff or affiliated staff for press releases, blogs, and announcements
|Length of Internship:||Summer|
|Requirements:||Skills and Requirements:
● Past writing experience, familiarity with Chicago Literary Scene
● Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
● Familiarity with Wordpress, Mailchimp, Eventbrite, or similar programs.
● Experience Blogging
● Exquisite Attention to Detail
● Excellent Proofreading/Editing Skills
● Experience with Marketing, Public Relations, or Event Planning a Plus
● Must be located in Chicago proper for the duration of the internship
|Application Due Date:||April 15, 2015|
|How To Apply For This Internship:||Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 writing samples (attached or send URLs; online writing samples preferred) in pdf format to contact[at]chicagowritersconference.org. Put “Attn: Editorial Intern” in subject line. In cover letter, please tell us 2-3 of your favorite authors.|